This section of the website provides access to non-Institute publications. We thank the individual authors for their willingness to make these materials available to the greater law school community.
- Young, Paula, "Bibliography of Books and Articles on Active Learning and other Techniques for Teaching Law" (updated through July 2008) (130 KB PDF).
- See also 1994 and 2000 Special Editions of Gonzaga Law Review featuring annotated bibliographies of current methods for law teaching.
- Corrine, Cooper, Getting Graphic 2: Visual Tools for Teaching and Learning Law (Learn more...) (Download, 2.2 MB PDF) (lacks Bankruptcy flow chart)
- Friedland, Steven and Hess, Gerald F. (editors), Teaching the Law School Curriculum (2004) (Learn more...) (Download fulltext, 2.9 MB PDF)
- Hess, Gerald and Friedland, Steve, Techniques for Teaching Law (1999) (Learn more / download individual chapters...) (Download fulltext, 14.9 MB PDF)
- Munro, Gregory S., Outcomes Assessment for Law Schools (Learn more...) (Download, 6.5 MB PDF)
- Stuckey, Roy, et al., Best Practices for Legal Education (Clinical Legal Education Association, 2007). ISBN: 9780979295508. (908 KB PDF)
- A Survey of Law School Curricula (Curriculum Report)
A study, conducted by the American Bar Association (ABA), reports the results of surveys of ABA-approved law schools regarding curricular reform between 1992 and 2002. Gives special attention to changes, innovations and trends in legal education over this period.
(Order for $19 from the ABA Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar at (312) 988-6751.)
Law Review Articles / Symposia
- See Hess and Schwartz articles on teaching and learning.
- Humanizing Legal Education Symposium held at Washburn University School of Law, October 19-21, 2007. Selected articles published 47 Washburn Law Journal (2008). See also the symposium website.
- Gonzaga Law Review (Special issues)
- Articles on teaching specific courses published in the Saint Louis University Law Journal's Annual Teaching Issue.
- "From Both Sides Now: The Job Talk's Role in Matching Candidates with Law Schools," by Anne M. Enquist, Paula Lustbader, and John Mitchell (Seattle University School of Law).
- Overcoming Barriers in Preparing Law Students for Real-World Practice (Symposium), University of Missouri School of Law Center for the Study of Dispute Resolution, October 19, 2012 (Papers & Powerpoints | Videos)
Online Resources (Website, Blogs, etc.)
- Lustbader, Zimet, Hess, Teach to the Whole Class: Barriers and Pathways to Learning (Learn more and watch video)
- Principles for Enhancing Legal Education (Gerald Hess, Paula Lustbader, Laurie Zimet) (Learn more and watch video)
- A Day in the Life of Law School Teaching (produced by Larry Dubin) (35 minutes) (Learn more and watch video)