Law Teaching for Adjunct Faculty
Download registration packet, complete page 3, and mail with your check or credit card information to:
- Christy Alvarez
Western State College of Law
1111 North State College Blvd
Fullerton, CA 92831
- For information or help with registration, contact Christy at (714) 459-1168 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- $150 - General Attendance
- Add $100 for 4.5 CLE credits.
Breakfast and lunch on Saturday are included in the registration fee.
Participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements to the conference.
A limited block of rooms has been booked at:
- Fullerton Marriott Fullerton at California State University
2701 East Nutwood Avenue
Fullerton, California 92831
Phone: (714) 738-7800 or (888) 236-2427
- Conference hotel rate is $109 per night
Double Beds: WESWESA
King Bed: WESWESB
The hotel is within easy walking distance of the law school.
Schedule at a Glance
See the full conference schedule.
Saturday, April 13
- 8:15 a.m.: Registration and Breakfast
- 9:00 a.m.: Opening Plenary
- 9:40 a.m.: Break
- 9:50 a.m.: Concurrent Sessions 1
- 10:50 a.m.: Break
- 11:05 a.m.: Concurrent Sessions 2
- 12:30 p.m.: Lunch
- 1:35 p.m.: Concurrent Sessions 3
- 2:55 p.m.: Break
- 3:10 p.m.: Concurrent Sessions 4
- 4:20 p.m.: Closing
Law Teaching for Adjunct Faculty is a one-day conference for new and experienced educators and administrators interested in developing and supporting adjunct teaching. The conference will take place on Saturday, April 13, 2013, at the Western State College of Law, Fullerton, California and is co-sponsored by the Institute for Law Teaching and Learning and Western State College of Law.
Because adjunct professors provide experience from practice and a strong commitment to teaching, this conference will focus on ways to help them. Sessions may address topics such as
- Designing course objectives,
- Selecting appropriate teaching methods,
- Giving students feedback,
- Implementing assessments,
- Relating to students,
- Connecting with faculty,
- Working with administrators,
- Balancing teaching and law practice, and
- Continuing to develop as teachers.
By the end of the conference, participants will have concrete ideas to bring back to their students, colleagues, and institutions.
Who Should Attend
This conference is for all law school adjunct faculty, full-time teachers, and administrators who are committed to supporting and developing adjunct teaching.
The conference will officially start with an opening plenary on Saturday, April 13, followed by a series of workshops. Breaks are scheduled with adequate time to provide participants with opportunities to discuss ideas from the conference. The conference is scheduled to end at approximately 5 p.m.
Conference plenaries and workshops will be taught by experienced faculty, including
- Gerry Hess, Gonzaga University School of Law
- Michael Hunter Schwartz, Washburn University School of Law
- Susan Keller, Western State College of Law
- Tonya Kowalski, Washburn University School of Law
- Rory Bahadur, Washburn University School of Law
- Paula Manning, Western State College of Law
- Sandra Simpson, Gonzaga University School of Law
- Sophie Sparrow, University of New Hampshire School of Law
- Lori Roberts, Western State College of Law
- Elizabeth "Lybby" Carroll, USC Gould School of Law
- Andrea Funk, Whittier Law School
- Larry Cunningham, St. John's University School of Law