Teaching Law Practice Across the Curriculum
Lodging and Transportation
Other hotels attendees may wish to consider for accommodations:
Topeka Courtyard by Marriott
2033 SW Wanamaker Road
Holiday Inn Express
901 SW Robinson Avenue
1530 SW Westport Drive
1518 SW Wanamaker Road
Days Inn of Topeka
1510 SW Wanamaker Road
See the Lodging section of the Visit Topeka website for other options.
Lodging and Conference Room Rates
Participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements. A limited block of rooms has been booked at the Capitol Plaza Hotel, approximately 1 mile east of Washburn University School of Law at 1717 SW Topeka Boulevard ((800) 579-7937 or (785) 431-7200).
You can make your reservations online. Alternatively, call the Capitol Plaza Hotel and request the special rate listed. This rate is guaranteed until May 26, 2010.
Transportation To and From Topeka
All major airlines serve Kansas City International Airport (KCI), conveniently located approximately 75 miles and 75 minutes east of Topeka.
- The major rental car companies provide service at KCI.
- All rental car companies share a gray rental car shuttle that stops at marked shelters at terminal medians.
- Shuttle service to Topeka is provided by KCI Roadrunner (check schedule and rates).
Driving From KCI To Topeka
The starting point for the following directions is the rental car company offices. (Note: these directions reduce driving time by 10-15 minutes when compared to the alternative route below.)
- Head north on London Avenue toward Bern Street.
- Turn left onto Bern Street.
- Turn right to merge onto LP Cookingham Drive and merge into NW 120th Street.
- Merge onto I-29 South/US-71 South via the ramp to Kansas City.
- Take exit 9B to merge onto Missouri Route 152 West toward Topeka.
- Merge onto I-435 South via the ramp to Topeka.
- Take exit 12 to merge onto I-70 West toward Topeka.
- A portion of the trip from KCI to Topeka is via the Kansas Turnpike. The toll will be $2.15 each direction (eastern terminal to Topeka I-70). Note that the right-hand lane is for drivers with a K-Tag so attendees should use one of the toll booths on the left. At the toll booth you will receive a ticket which you will turn in with your toll at the Topeka exit. (Note: once you pass the last 'free' exit on I-70 West it will be several miles until you reach the toll booth.)
- Take exit 183 to leave the Kansas Turnpike and follow I-70 (pay toll at tollbooths).
- Take exit 363 for Adams Street/Branner Trafficway.
- Turn left at the stop sign onto SE Adams Street.
- Go south .25 miles and turn right onto SE 15th Street.
- Bear to the left under the railroad bridge to follow SE 17th Street past Kansas Avenue to Topeka Boulevard.
- Turn left and go south on Topeka Boulevard.
- Immediately get into the right lane.
- Turn at the first right into the Capitol Plaza Hotel parking lot.
Alternatively, steps 4-5 can be replaced with the following directions.
- Merge onto I-29 North / I-435 West / US-71 North via the ramp on the left and head toward St. Joseph.
- Merge onto I-435 South via exit 17 toward Topeka (crossing into Kansas).
- Follow steps 8 through 17.
Parking is available north and south of the law school building at 17th and MacVicar. Registration for the conference is on the Second Floor so it is suggested that you enter through the north or east entrance.